Sunday, May 27, 2012

Dirt Cake


This easy recipe is one of my husband's favorites, and has been for a long time.  I've been making cupcakes for summer get-togethers lately, so he put in a request for something fudgy and chocolate-based.  We went to this old favorite, shared it with friends, and the result was just what the almost-doctor ordered. :)

1/4 c butter
1 c powdered sugar
1 (8oz) pkg cream cheese, softened to room temperature
2 small boxes instant chocolate pudding
3 1/2 c milk
1 (8oz) container Cool Whip
1 pkg Oreo cookies, crushed (white stuff removed)

Blend butter, powdered sugar, and cream cheese in a small bowl.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, mix pudding and milk until smooth.  Add cream cheese mixture and mix well.  Add Cool whip and mix until blended.

In a container, add 1/3 of Oreo crumbs, add 1/2 of pudding mixture, add another layer of crumbs, the other 1/2 of the pudding mixture, then top with remaining Oreo crumbs.

Refrigerate 4+ hours.  Serve with gummy worms.

Comments from the cook:  This dessert is so easy!  I used my food chopper/grinder to crush the Oreos (when they break and still have white stuff inside, I toss them in anyway), then did everything else with my KitchenAid.  I layered mine in a trifle bowl, with 4 crumb layers, and 3 pudding layers in between.


Not everyone cares to do so, but I used low-fat cream cheese, sugar-free/fat-free pudding, skim milk, and light Cool Whip in my recipe.  I was pleased to discover that the taste wasn't compromised, even though I'm sure the full-calorie version is even better!

Originally shared by Vickie Luker, dessert extraordinaire and long-time family friend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...