Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Browned-Butter Choc Chip Cookies

I'd heard about people using browned butter in recipes.  I was intrigued...so when I found this recipe, I decided to try my hand at the technique.  The results were fantastic...and I'm now converted.

1 c (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
1/2 c white sugar
1 3/4 c brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
3 c all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 (12 oz) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips

How to brown butter:

Heat pan on medium to medium-high heat (NOT high).  Cut butter into pieces and melt in pan.  Stir continuously.  Butter will foam up.

After foam subsides, small brown flecks will start to appear in bottom of pan.  Continue stirring, until butter has reached a nice brown color, and has a nutty aroma.  (This took 5+ minutes for me.)

Turn the heat all the way down, then pour into a bowl.  Refrigerate until solid again.  (This took 30+ minutes.)

For the dough:

Cream the solid browned butter and sugar until well mixed.  Scrape down sides of bowl.  Continue mixing while adding the eggs one at a time (making sure they are well-incorporated before adding the next).

Mix for a few minutes until batter is light and fluffy.

Combine the flour, salt, and baking soda in a separate bowl.  Slowly add to the wet mixture, just until combined.  Don't over mix.

Fold chocolate chips in with spatula.

Bake at 350° for 11-13 on parchment-lined cookie sheets.

Comments from the cook:  This recipe definitely delivered a rich, moist cookie.  I generally bake one batch, then freeze the leftovers in pre-formed dough balls.  Personally, I always think the frozen dough balls make better cookies the next day...and that was definitely true in this case.


When I browned my butter, I don't think I had my heat quite high enough (I had it on medium), and met with best success once I moved toward medium-high heat.  I was afraid to burn the butter, so I watched it very closely...

Originally found here.  Most text (and ingredient list) taken from her awesome site.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...