Friday, May 24, 2013

Chocolate Marshmallow Frosted Brownies

I'm baaaaaack!  I'm sure you're well aware that this little recipe blog has suffered two casualties.  Each has lasted about 8 months...and, upon further consideration, is very definitely linked to a little pink bundle of joy.  My pregnancies are rough, and new recipes are few and far between when everything I eat leaves a bad aftertaste in my mouth.  BUT, we're just a few weeks from welcoming that 2nd pink bundle, and I have a recipe to share.  My mom has been making these brownies for years, and I thought I'd pass the recipe along.

Bottom Layer:  Brownies.  Normally, I'd grab a boxed mix for this.  But, I didn't have one, and didn't want to go to the store to get one.  So I chose an even better alternative.  I used my very favorite from-scratch brownie recipe, found here.

Bake according to directions.  For best results, go with a shorter cook time and a softer brownie rather than a crispier one.  

Middle Layer:  Mini marshmallows.  About half a bag.  Remove hot brownies from oven, and sprinkle with marshmallows.  Turn oven off, and place brownies back into oven to allow marshmallows to puff up.  This should just take a few minutes.  You want them to puff, but not brown.  I think mine took 3-4 minutes.

Allow marshmallow-topped brownies to cool for about 15-20 minutes.  Then frost.

Frosting: The chocolate frosting from this awesome cake has become my new go-to.  This time, I added another cup or so of powdered sugar.  I wanted the texture to be a bit more firm, and the thickness turned out perfectly.

So, there you have 'em.  Thick, chewy, and marshmallowey frosted brownies.  Perfect for a summer BBQ or family gathering...and richer than you think!  Trust me... you'll want a big one, but ought to start small.  And, while you're at it, make sure the milk is close-by :)

Comments from the cook:  I don't usually do so, but decided to line my 9x13 pan with parchment paper this time.  After melting the marshmallows and then frosting the brownies, I allowed them to cool for a few hours.  When I was ready to cut them up, I removed the parchment paper and used a large knife to do the job.  It worked BEAUTIFULLY.  So, take my word for it.  Use parchment paper if you want the cutting to go more smoothly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...