Friday, November 11, 2011

Hearty Beef Stew

I wanted to make beef stew the other day, and the seasoning packets at our local grocery store were nearly $3(!), so I tried my hand at homemade. I cracked my Betty Crocker cookbook for a few pointers, and the result was great! For the record, we won't be buying packets ever again...

1 lb beef stew meat
1/2 medium onion
10-12 baby carrots, sliced
1 cup beef broth
1/3 c flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp marjoram
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
6 russet potatoes, cut into 1" chunks
6 c water

Brown stew meat in a frying pan, and add to CrockPot. Add sliced onion, carrots, and potatoes.

Add beef broth and water (6 cups is an estimate...I just added enough to partially cover the vegetables, so they would cook thoroughly).

Add spices and flour. Stir together until mixed.

Allow to cook in CrockPot for 3-4 hours on high.

Comments from the cook: Brian works out of town on Wednesday afternoon/evening, and always needs to take dinner with him. Beef stew is one of his all-time favorites, so I threw this in the CrockPot a little before noon. I was nervous that it wouldn't be done soon enough, but by 3:45 it was perfectly cooked.

I also loved that this stew didn't require any kind of thickening! Adding flour in the initial stages is all you need to do, and the thickness is perfect after 3-4 hours.

Many ingredients/quantities taken from "Betty Crocker's Cookbook - Beef Stew" recipe (found on pg 465)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...