Sunday, September 11, 2011

Density Bars

Our dear friends, M+B, made these for us mannnnny years ago...and I've been meaning to make them for a long time now. They're called "Density Bars" for a reason, so if you make them, be sure to make sure there's milk in the fridge! :)

1 c brown sugar
1 c white sugar
1 c butter
2 eggs
1 c peanut butter
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
2 c flour
2 c quick oats

Preheat oven to 325°.

Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Add peanut butter and blend.

Sift together flour, soda, and salt; add to sugar mixture and mix until smooth. Add oats and vanilla.

Put into 9x13 pan (I use a jelly roll pan, which has sides that are just 1" high). Bake at 325° for 20 minutes.

**Frost with chocolate frosting of your choice.

Comments from the cook: YUM. These are excellent, and their mere existence in your house can make you do careless things that you wouldn't otherwise do (one bar in each hand, alternating bites!).

**I would recommend using the chocolate frosting from the HoHo cake (found here). We had a little bit of it left over in the freezer, and used it to frost a few of these. It was delicious. When it ran out and I took these to a little shin-dig, I needed another frosting...so I used some hot fudge (the kind you put on ice cream) from my fridge.

I put the hot fudge in my KitchenAid, then added a splash of milk, a little vanilla, and a bit of salt. Then I added powdered sugar until I got it to the consistency I wanted. In retrospect, the taste was good...but I should've just gone with another batch of the HoHo cake frosting. :)

Special thanks to my dearest friend Brittany, for introducing us to these little darlings. They're now part of my arsenal!


Originally shared by the fabulous Brittany. Most text taken from her original recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...