Thursday, June 9, 2011

Ultra-Lemony Lemon Bars


Crust:
3/4 c butter (cold)
1 3/4 c flour
3/4 c powdered sugar
3/4 tsp coarse salt

Slice butter into small pieces. (Original recipe says to freeze butter, then grate it.) Combine with other crust ingredients and work with a pastry cutter (or maybe a fork?) until crumbly. Press into bottom of a 9x13 pan. Freeze for 15 minutes. Then bake at 350° for 16-18 minutes.

Filling:
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/3 c granulated sugar
3 TBSP flour
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 c lemon juice
1/4 c milk

Whisk eggs, sugar, flour, and salt together. Then add lemon juice and milk. Stir together, then pour over hot crust.

Reduce oven heat to 325° and bake for about 18 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.

Dust with powdered sugar. Serve chilled.

Comments from the cook: I was dying to make lemon bars a while ago, and called my mom for a recipe. This is the one she gave me. (I think she said this one is from Martha Stewart, though I wasn't able to find it on her site.)

I usually find that lemon bars don't have much kick. But these babies have 3/4 cup lemon juice...and they have plenty of kick!

My only word of caution? These really are best when they're chilled. When left out and eaten at room temperature, they are a teeny bit "egg-y" tasting. At least that's what I thought. But, when they're cold? Good grief, they're good.
Originally found in a Martha Stewart cookbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...