Friday, March 12, 2010

Easter Bunny Cakes


1 white cake mix (prepared as directed)
2 cups sweetened coconut flakes
1 tub store-bought frosting, flavor of your choice (vanilla for us)
food coloring
assorted candies

Prepare cake mix as directed for (2) 9-inch pans. Allow to cool.

Cover the back of a large cookie sheet or a large piece of cardboard with aluminum foil. Place one of the cooled cakes in center of sheet. This will be the bunny's head.

The other cake will be used as the bunny's ears and bowtie. Use the following diagram as a cutting guide for your cakes. Then assemble.


Frost with vanilla frosting. Edges of cake will be more difficult to frost, so use frosting generously in these areas. Warning...this step can be messy! (If you're looking for an easier solution, use a fluffier frosting. A whipped one would be perfect for the job...)

After fully frosted, press coconut flakes into frosting. If desired, add a few drops of food coloring and a couple of drops of water to bowl of coconut and stir until evenly colored.

Embellish with jelly beans, licorice, and other candies. Cake shown above is coated in Oreo crumbs.

Comments from the cook: This is one of my favorite Easter traditions - something my mom started many years ago. I usually make a coconut bunny (my fave!) and a plain version (for Brian). I try to have a (BIG) group of people over to help eat them...though I'd rather do all of the work myself. :)

If you wanted to get all fancy-shmancy, you could make the cake from scratch, try different flavors, or even use that fluffy white frosting recipe. That would REALLY take this up a notch...and you would probably want to avoid having anyone over to help you eat it. :)

Check out a few other bunnies here. And if the whole project seems a bit too daunting, do what we did in 2007...and just make cupcakes!

Tradition started by Mom Sleight.

4 comments:

  1. This is such a cute idea! I'll definately have to try this with my girls. We'll have to leave the coconut out, since it doesn't like me at all! It will be great for this year since Easter is on Conference weekend! Thanks for all the great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the cute ideas! I think we will start a new tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. way cute edible bunny! today or tomorrow we will be grocery shopping...first time since all of your handy hints and to be honest i don't think i have ever been this excited to go to the grocery store! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally used to make this with my mom. Thanks for including the diagrams--I had forgotten how to cut everything.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...